Living With A Conure – Guest Post by Stewart Moore

Living With A Conure – Guest Post by Stewart Moore

So, Shannon’s mum got this lovely little conure last year. She was really friendly and a lot of fun and unsurprisingly, after just a couple of weeks Shannon decided she wanted one. Long story short, along came Birdie.

Birdie, a cute little green-cheek conure, began causing a raucous within about 6 minutes. To begin to help you understand I’m going to split this into a bunch of categories.

Conures are destructive

If you’re sensible you’ll research heavily before getting any kind of pet and, one of the questions you may find yourself looking for an answer to is “are conures destructive”. Yes.

If like us, you plan on giving your conure free roam of the house, you may as well just open up your door to a plague of hungry locusts. Anything they can get their beaks around or into, they will.

Let me take you back to last week; in our kitchen is a sweetie box (yeah, we are children, whatever), and, no more than 5 minutes after being let out of her cage – Birdie was picking up lollipops and launching them across the kitchen floor.

Not only that; we have a lovely hole in the wall where she enjoys grinding her beak into the brickwork, countless broken items of jewellery and, as for gaming controllers, you had better stock up on thumb grips.

living with a conure

They poop, a lot

Honestly, I’ve never known anything like it. Owning a conure gives you two options – cover your house in plastic wrap and hope for the best or prepare to constantly be wiling up little white speckles of bird shit.

Conures find it especially fun to hold it in until they land on your shoulder. It’s at that moment they decide to tense up their wings and spit out what looks like an Oreo milkshake down your otherwise pristine black t-shirt. You’ll find you often don’t notice until a co-worker or a friend points it out. Good luck explaining that without sounding like an absolute weirdo.


Conures have an attitude problem

Conures are small birds with huge personalities. They also think they’re massive.

Picture the scene; you’ve just made yourself a lovely pasta dish and you can’t wait to tuck in. Your winged companion decides to land on the side of your plate and take what doesn’t belong to them – a piece of al dente penne, for example.

You might think “silly bird” and attempt to take the pasta back off them only to be presented with a nip on the finger, a raising of the wings and a deathly squark. Maybe Birdie is just a little spoilt?

One thing is for certain, these birds are fearless. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen this little 6-inch blur making its way towards the cats. Sprinting on two legs like some kind of warrior heading into war – heaven forbid the dogs try and take a treat off her!

living with a conure

living with a conure

They are, probably, more intelligent than you think

A conure will literally take the piss out of you. Just one hour before writing this post, Birdie was drilling holes in the wall with her beak. Upon shouting for her to stop and telling her how naughty she was – she did her best to echo what I was saying and continue working on her like of brick dust. These birds are not great talkers so it’s usually just a series of grunts and clicks to match the pitch and syllables of what you’ve spoken to them.

Birdie has this new game, too. Good luck putting her to bed if you’ve already got your coat on and spoke about leaving the house. Conures are very much aware of their surroundings and what’s going on. If they don’t want to go back in their cage and they suspect that’s about to happen, be prepared at least ten minutes in advance because you’ll need this long to catch them.

Conures are loving, needy birds

Despite all their trouble, they are excessively needy birds. If you’re looking for a pet that’ll follow you around the house and bond with you then you won’t go wrong. I spend 90% of my time telling Birdie off for chewing on my ear, attacking the cats and stealing my food but the other 10% of the time she’s trying to give me kisses and burying her head in my beard and it makes all her sins forgivable. Then again, maybe she has figured out the bare minimum love she needs to give to keep me from throwing her in a pot with a secret blend of herbs and spices.


living with a conure


Would you like to know more about what life would be like living with a conure? Check out

They have a list full of information on how to care for your cheeky little green cheek.


(Visited 80 times, 1 visits today)

5 thoughts on “Living With A Conure – Guest Post by Stewart Moore”

Leave a Reply